Mean, median and mode makes me M.A.D!

For as long as I remember doing math, I remember finding the range, mean, median, and mode. Range is the maximum minus the minimum, mean is the average, median is the middle number, and mode if the number occurring most often. You still with me? Good because I am going to talk to you about this crazy thing called the M.A.D. It stands for the mean absolute deviation. So lets say you have some data, like test scores. Your mean is 73 and your M.A.D is 8. Your mad is going to give you a range of eight below the mean and eight above the mean. So you would be able to say that the test scores majority was between 65 and 81. Still here? Good! There is a great formula to find it and its only half a page long! *insert crying face here*

I kind of struggled with the mean absolute deviation at first, but after doing it multiple times, it gets easier. It also gave me a way better understanding of the mean, median and mode. I feel I am able to understand all their definitions way better and can explain them with ease. This video, M.A.D Video, gives you a fun explanation if you wanna watch it! Thanks for reading, and happy blogging! 

Comments

  1. Jamie,
    I love your blog, it is so well written. Your titles cracked me up. You have such a great way of writing that really kept my attention! I also struggled with the MAD formula. It seemed impossible to remember, to be honest. I like the video that you shared though, very interactive. Songs are always a great way to present information. (And I do not think I will ever forget to "drop the sign" again when doing MAD, haha). Thanks for sharing.

    -Kea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I love the title it made me interested in this post! I also, really struggled with the M.A.D and it also, made me very mad. Although, you give such a great explanation with the video on how to calculate it and helps readers to remember it better. You did so good writing and being interactive with your readers. Love your blog it's all so well put together, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title of this post, it really caught my attention when checking out your blog! You wrote in such a good way to keep any reader's attention. I really like that you were able to find a video for it. Videos are very appealing and helpful with some student's learning. How you put this post together and explained everything was super helpful in clearing things up for me even now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment