Fun with M&Ms!

Hello again! We have started going over statistics, something I am not to familiar with. In class we did a really neat activity with m&ms! To begin the activity each student in the class got a small bag of m&ms. We answered some questions and recorded our data. For example, in my bag I had 3 brown, 5 orange, 3 blue, 3 green, no red, and no yellow. We then made a pictograph based on our own data. When we were finished with our own data, all of the class data was collected for each color of m&ms, and then we created a series of dot plots. We also made another pictograph and a bar graph based on the class data.

Since using candy to engage younger children in activities, I found another m&m activity that would be fun for younger classrooms. If you wanna check that out, M&M Activity is the place to go!

The next part of the activity was something I had never heard of before. We used the bar graph and took the height of each bar and created a circle. Within that circle, each group created a circle graph. I thought it was a very creative and easy way to create a circle graph. Overall, I really enjoyed this activity. I think it was a great way to introduce a numerous amount of different graphs. Thanks for reading!







Comments

  1. Hi Jamie! Your blog is so cute!! You really did a great job! I love this post especially because of all the pictures and visuals you put in! I loved that you even linked an activity from TPT! Your explanations are so lovely and you're definitely going to make a great teacher! Amazing job Jamie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment