First Post!

First Post! One of the best things about taking this class is all the resources we are provided. From our notebooks that we get to create and make our own, to the websites we are shown. My notebook has been one of the most useful resources and I definitely plan to carry it with me throughout my teaching career. I have been able to put all my notes, formulas, and example worksheets in it! One of the websites, Math is Fun, has also been very useful. It has lot of activities, has all the math vocab you'll ever need, and covers many topics.

We were also introduced to the Polya's four step problem solving process. I have found it super helpful! It is just what its name suggest, four step that help you lay out your step to conclude an answer. The first step is understand the problem, where you make a conjecture about the problem. The step is to devise a plan, where you pick the type of strategy you are going to use to solve the problem. The third step is to carry out the plan, where you use your strategy form step three to solve the problem. Finally, the last step is looking back, using verification to check that you correctly solved the problem. I found it most help on tricky word problem, and problems with a lot of detail because you can have everything organized.

I have also included a picture of a mind map! Now what is that you ask? I thought I had never heard of one before, turns out it just has a fancy name. Now, you can use them to organize just about any thing, but we used them to organize graphs. Not only are they a great study tool, but you can be as creative or non-creative with it as you want.

Well, thanks for reading my first post and I look forward to going on this math journey with you all! Happy blogging!



Comments

  1. Hi Jamie! I totally agree with you that one of the best things about this class is all of the resources we are provided. When we had to start our notebook last semester, I thought it was just going to be this tedious thing that was going to get tossed at the end of the class but it turned out to be my math bible lol. One time I thought I lost my notebook and I had a complete anxiety attack until I located it! Can you even imagine how hard it would be studying for the tests without it? I will probably have my notebook until I retire as a teacher for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment